Featured Post

You're a What?

Rheumatoid Arthritis and Vegan eating...there is hope.  Read below for my on-going journey with RA and how a Vegan diet changed ever...

Monday, July 2, 2018

Eating Out in Abilene - Vegan and Gluten Free



I often have people call, text, ask or message me and want to know where they can eat with food allergies in our little West Texas town of Abilene. I will often send a list from memory, I will inevitably forget a favorite... this is my current list of restaurants, menu options, adjustments. My plan is to come back to this post and update as necessary, then I can take a look to remind myself of local restaurant options.

Huge disclaimer: Below is my list, as someone with food allergies I depend so much on chefs, cooks, servers that know what they are talking about and know the ingredients. I do my best to not put a server, during a busy time, on the spot. Below is my general how to's of eating out and then a list of where I have eaten, tweaks to items on the menu... I don't guarantee any item below is vegan or g/f, but to the best of my knowledge unless otherwise noted, as much as I understand, they are. It is always good to let the restaurant know your food allergies.

General Practices

1. Research, research, research. I do my best to google nutritional and menu info before I ever enter a restaurant. If I can't find the info online I will call the restaurant during a non-busy time and ask some questions to find out about options on the menu.

2. I don't ever expect anyone to go out of their way for me. There are a thousand me's with food allergies, food preferences likes and dislikes. If I, for some reason, can't figure out anything on the menu, then I eat a vegetable salad, no cheese or croutons, or I eat nothing, or I eat french fries, or I have a glass of wine and chips and guacamole.

3. I smile and look the server in the eye and kindly ask questions about the menu. Smiles go a long way.

4. I leave a good tip. I really appreciate servers who are knowledgeable, who will go check with the kitchen about ingredients, who genuinely want me to have a good experience in their restaurant, I let them know that with a tip that affirms their extra help and thank them personally so they know they were appreciated.

Restaurant and my go-to menu items in Abilene

Big Country Coffee - My favorite smoothie here is the Turtle Power smoothie, the tropical smoothie is also super yummy. Both are Vegan/GF. The smoothies here are not made with powders, but with real fruits and veggies. They can also substitute Almond Milk for dairy in several other smoothies.

Copper Creek - Vegetarian menu, several options which can be made vegan. I double check which items are GF.

Fuzzy's - I order a side of corn tortillas (3) with a side of cilantro-lime rice and a side of black beans. Their Guacamole is also Vegan/GF. I will make my own tacos with the beans and rice.

Jason's Deli - Lots of options, salad bar, kale and vegetable soup, one of my favorite sandwiches is the Zucchini Grillini, I just ask for no cheese and have it put on GF Bread.

Krua Thai - I order the Vegetable Panang with extra vegetables, or the Tofu Panang, the key here is to ask for NO fish sauce. Then the dish is vegan. All of the curries can be made vegan. Panang is my most favorite.

Life of Pie - While not available every day you can special order GF/Vegan pies.

Milk & Honey Bakery and Bistro - Special order baked goods are available for many food allergies. I had the best GF/Vegan chocolate cake EVER from here. Such a treat.

Lytle Land and Cattle - They have a great dish of grilled portabellos in the appetizer section. I often will order a baked potato plain, but then ask for a side of sauteed mushrooms (request they are sauteed in olive oil) to be poured over the top of the baked potato. I will order a side salad with no cheese, croutons with the amazing basil/lime vinaigrette.

Mian Bistro - I order the vegetable curry or tofu curry over rice. The rice noodles (plain) are also GF/Vegan.

Natural Food Restaurant - Vegetarian section on the menu, several items are easily adjusted GF and Vegan. Super helpful and knowledgeable staff.
I often order the stuffed avocado, one stuffed with hummus one with quinoa. I always double check the stuffings are GF and Vegan. Most of the time they are but they change up their offerings and flavorings each day on the hummus and quinoa. They have the best salad, strawberry, and spinach with a blush dressing. I ask for the feta to be left off.

Pizza By Design - I order the GF pizza crust, there is gelatin in the ingredient list, but the amount must be minute enough it doesn't cause me any issues. I ask for the olive oil base, then have them put fresh garlic on the olive oil. Then it's just a matter of picking what veggies (and they have a lot to choose from). Their red pizza sauce is Vegan and GF, but I miss cheese when I have the red sauce on my pizza, so I stick with the olive oil.

Spicy India - My favorites are the Manchurian Gobi (fried cauliflower), Vegetable Kadai, and Aloo Gobi (cauliflower and potato) with the curry sauce.

Market Street - They always have a great Vegetable sushi in the case. I love sushi and enjoy being able to pick this up as a "fast food" if I am in a rush. To keep it gluten free use tamari sauce instead of regular soy sauce.

These are my go-to menu picks, there are probably lots more variations, as long as I know there is at least one thing on the menu I can have I am thrilled!







No comments:

Post a Comment