Featured Post

You're a What?

Rheumatoid Arthritis and Vegan eating...there is hope.  Read below for my on-going journey with RA and how a Vegan diet changed ever...

Monday, July 23, 2018

Lemon Cornmeal & Cherry Scones

Lemon, tart cherries, scones, yes to all and better yet, let's combine them in one delicious bite. The original inspiration for this recipe came from listening to the audible book, Stir: My Broken Brain and the Meals That Brought Me Home by Jessica Fechtor, the author referenced lemon cherry cornmeal scones. I had never heard of such a thing, but these are all things I adore so I hopped online found a starting place for my recipe here, and then I made some substitutions so it would work for me, and voila. C'est Magnifique. #vegan #glutenfree

Ingredients
5 oz Dried Sour Cherries
1 1/2 c GF All-Purpose Flour
1/2 c GF Cornmeal
1 T Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
6 T vegan butter, cubed
1/2 c Non-Dairy Milk, I used almond.
1/4 c Pure Maple Syrup
1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract

For "egg wash" on top-
2 T Non-Dairy Milk, 1 T Maple Syrup
Coarse sugar, for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Makes 12 scones.

Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl cover dried cherries with hot tap water, allow to sit for 15 min. Drain water and pat cherries dry.

In a medium bowl, mix the flour with the cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter until it is the size of small peas. Add the cherries. Combine Milk, maple syrup, and vanilla. Add the liquid to the bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until the dough is evenly moistened. It will be a little wet.

Scoop 1/4 cup mounds of dough onto the baking sheet, spacing them two inches apart. Brush the tops with the "egg wash" mixture of non-dairy milk and maple syrup and sprinkle lightly with coarse sugar. Bake for about 30 minutes, until golden. Transfer the scones to a rack to cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temp.




1 comment:

  1. HELLO Tammy. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you and about your interest. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 39 yrs in this great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. we reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai or your grown up children to come to Mumbai to work with us during your/ their vacation time. I am sure you/ they will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

    ReplyDelete