Featured Post

You're a What?

Rheumatoid Arthritis and Vegan eating...there is hope.  Read below for my on-going journey with RA and how a Vegan diet changed ever...

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Molasses Cardamom Cookies #Vegan #Gluten Free



















The holidays are right around the corner. I am not loving the fact that everyone around me will be eating lots of food that if I joined in would leave me with a full tummy, but also lots of pain and swelling in my joints. As I get closer to the family meals I am thinking through whether I want to indulge for the day and pay the consequences or hold out and eat some delicious options, just not what everyone else is eating.

One thing I know for sure, even if I do eat some Thanksgiving food, one thing I can't do is surround the days around it with other off-limit foods. For me it is easier to stick with this food plan without cheating here and there. Where does the cheating start and stop then? However, it's the gatherings of food and family that leave me feeling a bit lonesome in the midst of it all. When food is the center of the gathering,  and you can't have that food, there is a bit of an outsider-ish feel. Maybe it wont always be this way, but in this first year that is where I am at.

Knowing that there would be gatherings this season I would be bringing dishes to, and also wanting to have at least one thing I could eat as far as treats go has gotten me into the mindset of planning ahead.

The first real success I had was making fudge. I made a great recipe. Once I post it I will link it here.

But today's success is all about some holiday spice in a cookie with a bit of a crunchy sugary glaze on the outside. They turned out so delicious. I will make these over and over.

This recipe was my inspiration.

Here is my adaptation -

Gluten Free/Vegan Molasses Cardamom Glazed Cookies
2 1/4 c. gluten free flour - this one is my favorite.
1/2 c. salad oil (next time I make this I will substitute canned pumpkin)
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. molasses
1/4 c. maple or maple-flavor syrup
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. (or more) ground cardamom (I doubled this)
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon (I doubled this)
1/4 tsp. ground ginger (I used fresh ginger in a tube, 1 1/2tsp)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Vegan egg substitute - I use this one.

Into large bowl measure all ingredients. With mixer at low speed, beat until well-blended, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula. Refrigerate dough for a few hours to make it easier to roll into balls.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Shape dough by level teaspoonfuls into ball; place balls 2-inches apart on un-greased cookie sheets. Bake 10 minutes. With spatula remove cookies to wire racks to cool.

The original recipe did not call for an icing glaze, but with the thoughts of a great southern spice cake in mind, I fashioned a similar glaze to top the cookies with.

Glaze
1 C Powdered Sugar
Nut Milk or water, I used cashew milk to thin. Probably around a tablespoon? Till it's the right consistency.
1/2 t Vanilla
1/4 t Allspice
Smidge of salt

Mix icing ingredients together. I put the bowl of mixed ingredients into the microwave for about 10 seconds to warm. I wanted the salt and sugar to no longer have a gritty consistency. Mix well again. If you want to dip the cookies for a light coating as pictured it needs to be the consistency of a syrup.

Dip the top of cooled cookies into the glaze, turn over and set the unglazed side on parchment or wax paper. Let cool. Enjoy.

Store in tightly covered container.

No comments:

Post a Comment