Featured Post

You're a What?

Rheumatoid Arthritis and Vegan eating...there is hope.  Read below for my on-going journey with RA and how a Vegan diet changed ever...

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Pizza, Pizza, Pizza


I love pizza.

It has been a bit over 2 years since I have had a non-gluten pizza crust. I have tried multiple times to make a gluten free pizza. Today I made a pizza crust that is my favorite so far. It is not exactly like a "regular" gluten pizza crust, but it sure was good.


I used this recipe here for the crust, then this recipe for the toppings.  I added artichoke, pineapple and olives to this mix. I was super sad I got out of the grocery store without jalapeƱos, shopping off my memory isn't always the most efficient. I bought pre-cut yellow, red and green bell peppers and onions, all packaged together. Cooking a yummy meal can take up most of my night once I get home from work, so this helps prep go a bit more quickly.

This pizza was delicious. The cheese you see on top, isn't really dairy cheese. Here is the recipe for the parmesan sprinkles and I used mozzarella shreds.

My RA has hurt me this week. Part of the protocol I follow states pretty clearly that oil will slow the healing and cause pain and inflammation. I have used olive oil a couple of times this week and I can feel it in my hands. My left hand is the worst and I am having to take off my wedding ring here and there - I don't want to have it cut off like I did several months ago before I started my vegan eating.

This pizza has a little bit of oil in the crust. Instead of using 1 tablespoon, I used 1 tsp. I probably could have left it out entirely, but never making this crust before I thought it might have needed a bit of fat to keep it together. I don't think it was necessary. When I roasted the veggies I used a bit of olive oil, about a teaspoon.

I probably need to keep my distance from the oil for a bit to help my hands feel better. Healing from RA is not an overnight process. There's a lot of give and take and trial and error. My RA recovery while so much better, has it's ups and downs, and will take months to years for all of my inflammation numbers to read normal.

Whatever I have to do to be well is worth the journey!!





No comments:

Post a Comment