Featured Post

You're a What?

Rheumatoid Arthritis and Vegan eating...there is hope.  Read below for my on-going journey with RA and how a Vegan diet changed ever...

Saturday, August 13, 2016

RA Update and Spicy Lentil Hummus Snack




I am about 3 months in to my Vegan eating plan. I love it and am I am finding it a bit easier to manage each day. I am working on finding a balance between easy-to-make meals vs. pre-made vs. time heavy prep meals. I went back to work full time shortly after I made the switch to Vegan and have spent many afternoons on Sunday preparing food for the week. I would like a bit more time just to rest. So easy prep simple vegan meals is my current go-to. Green juicing in the morning, rice and beans, soup, baked potato (sweet or white) for lunch and then more of the same for dinner. To find the eating plan I follow click here.

I haven't had blood work done since my last Dr.'s visit. I need to try and get that done ASAP. Blood work is SO important to have a good measurement on what is happening with RA. The aches and pains might be less but they are still there and they are still finding new places to show up. For the last couple of weeks my ring finger on my left hand has had a lot of trouble. I am trying to keep stretching it for full range of motion, but left a lone it wants to just curl up and not have full range of movement any more. I am bound and determined to not let that happen. So I am constantly stretching it out. My right wrist is also hurting when it never has before. I take solace in the fact that the Paddington Program tells me that this will happen. Aches and pains move around, they have good days and worse days, but as long as I stick to the program of Vegan eating my body is healing and eventually will not have RA anymore.  On a positive note, everything else continues to feel so much better. But I just want to be sure and share that in my experience it has not been without ups and downs. The key is to stay the course.


I am not a big snacker in between meals. If I eat a snack then more than likely it becomes my meal. This is my favorite..snack becomes a meal right now. I love spicy. I buy this Yellow Lentil Hummus at Market Street and Mary's jalapeƱo crackers at Natural Grocer's. 



I eat gluten free as well as Vegan but am preparing for a mission trip to Haiti in a couple of weeks. 2 of the meals would be something that has gluten (the other 4 are rice and beans which is right up my alley!!), I will have protein bars...these are my favorite but it would be nice to eat what has been prepared, so I tried eating food with gluten in it last night to see how I would tolerate it. I have done great, so Haitian spaghetti...here I come!! (see below for an update)

Thanks for following along in my journey. I would welcome any recipes you would have to share, and your stories, too. Thankful we don't have to walk the journey alone.

---------------
Added 24 hours of trying gluten: I had my most painful RA joint pain to date starting late yesterday afternoon. By last night I couldn't move my wrist and it felt like a white hot poker was in my wrist joint. While I have been off of Ibuprofen for months I broke down and took two last night and went to bed. I woke up this morning with my wrist still swollen but the harsh pain was gone. Whether this was an affect of gluten or if it was a flare up of RA not having to do with gluten I don't know. I will have to wait for a later time and try again. I decided to go back into my original 12 day Paddington Program starting today as a cleanse to see if that will help the pain and swelling move through quickly. RA is super scary and super painful and last night was both of those.


No comments:

Post a Comment